Thursday, January 31, 2013

Flight






TITLE:  Flight The Crescent Chronicles
AUTHOR: Alyssa Rose Ivy
PUBLISHED:  August 13, 2012
LENGTH: 270 Pages
LANGUAGE:  English
RATING:  Mature YA
GENRE:  Paranormal
PURCHASE LINKS: 
Amazon



                    
Summary
Sometimes you just have to take flight.

A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi. 

Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her. 

(Mature Young Adult / New Adult, contains sexual situations, underage drinking, and mild language).

My Rating
4 Raving Stars

Review
Alyssa Rose Ivy has brought a new twist to Shifters. I won’t say what the twist is but suffice it to say I love it.

Her character creation was fairly well thought out. For the life of me I couldn’t see how Jessie and Allie were friends. Two people so opposite I have never seen. I enjoyed the secondary characters such as Hailey and I thought she was a very interesting person and I hope to see more about her in the future books. I also liked Levi, even though he seems to be a bit into himself at times.

The story starts with Jess and Allie heading down to New Orleans to stay at Allie’s father’s hotel and work there for the summer. Allie has sworn off men, and Jess “appears” to be a party girl. This is reinforced thru the first few chapters in how Jess behaves out on the town while partying. Meanwhile Allie has sworn off men due to a bad relationship with her ex, who can’t seem to take we’re through for an answer. Allie meets Levi and all her intentions of keeping men at bay seem to go out the window. Yet at the same time they don’t.

I personally felt the story drags at around chapter 14 for a couple chapters. But it did pick up. I wasn’t too keen on the ending; I felt that it was an odd way to leave it off, but I understand why the author did this to keep the reader hanging but not hanging.

I think the world itself could have been a bit more defined. The story takes place in New Orleans supposedly after Hurricane Katrina, and mention is made of that tragedy. However you basically spend the entire book either in the hotel or in a club down on Bourbon Street. You don’t really get to see the world from a paranormal aspect. I guess it was just so normal for a paranormal for me.

As for the warning in the summary, here in Australia, the drinking age is 18, but in the USA it is still 21, and there is quite a bit of drinking of the group that Allie is with. While some of them are older the majority of them are under 21. So if you are worried about that sort of thing then I just wanted to give you a heads up.

I felt personally that more could have been done with the book. I felt that the constant going out to party and get fall down drunk or drunk enough to do stupid stuff, just pigeon holed it as a teen book. I enjoyed the beginning and the paranormal aspect of the book, however I wasn’t too thrilled with the way the story tended to drag at times. I am looking forward to continuing the story however because I want to know what happens next with Levi and Allie. And I can honestly say that I truly did enjoyed this book. And I think any lover of paranormal or shifter’s will adore it!
Details/Disclaimer: Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.

No comments:

Post a Comment