Saturday, June 1, 2013

Born in Sin Review

Today I am reviewing a series of books by Camelia Miron Skiba.  Born in Vengence and Born in Sin.



Originally published as a short story titled I WAS HERE--BEFORE YOU CAME, this stand-alone version includes an expanded storyline and excerpts from BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends, #2), all that you would expect from a full novel.


Legend has it … centuries after Spartacus another hero is born—Ilias, the bastard son of King Decebalus. Thirsty for revenge and eager to unshackle the Roman oppression, Ilias’ obsession to fulfill his oath has no bounds, even if that means kidnapping Nerva, the beloved daughter of Emperor Traianus. What he doesn’t know is his own heart threatens to betray his conscience.
What will prevail: his mind or his heart?


When I first picked up this book I had no idea what it was about.  Sure I had read the Summary, but I didn't know what to expect.  The story is about King Decebalus's bastard son.  The premise for the story was good, and the story itself is well written. The plot moves along quickly and as you would expect it to.  

Character creation was okay.  I have to say that I just didn't "feel" the relationship between the two main characters.  But since this is more of a historical book than a true romance I can overlook that aspect.  The author did stick to the time period, and it was fun to read about ancient Rome and all the fighting for revenge purposes.

There is quite a bit of violence in this story.  War, Bloodshed, Hatred all abound.  There is the love story aspect of it, which does tone down some of the violence in the book.  And I can say I like strong female characters and Camelia Skiba does not disappoint me in her choice of the strong female she has created.

I happen to love reading books with a historical flair to them.  More so if the author stays true to the period in which she/he is writing and Camelia Skiba did a wonderful job of staying in that time period.  Romans and Saxons and battles of the time period.  Not for the faint of heart but it is definately a book to add to your TBR pile.

Details/Disclaimer: Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.



Loathing the thought of his beloved Oriana in the arms of another man, fearless Zyraxes delivers death upon the Roman enemy. With only the rugged land as his bed and the sky as his blanket, trouble finds him often.

Summoned to aid Oriana’s father in the war against two powerful enemies—one of them Oriana's savage husband—Zyraxes proves himself worthy of more than just noble titles and coin. But he wants none of it. What he wants is her.
When Zyraxes discovers a broken and nearly dead Oriana, though forbidden, he disregards her father's orders to leave her to her death, and instead chooses to protect and conceal her. Will saving her be enough to win her heart? Will his part royal lineage make him worthy of her love?

Born in Sin is the second book in the Dacian Legends Series and it is a vast improvement from the first book.  The only thing I didn't really like is that it is definately written from a male POV, not that its a bad thing mind you, but men seem to leave out so many details that a female doesn't so quite a few bits are missing for me.  

I can also say I had to personally giggle at some of the aspects of relationships.  Men can be such oafs when it comes to expressing emotions and Camelia Skiba seemed to nail it right on the head. 

Once again we have violence in the story.  In fact within the first pages you have a huge battle that has just ended and the remains from the battle are quite vivid in details.  Blood and Death are everywhere in those first few pages so if you are faint of heart you may not want to read this series.  But it is necessary for the setting and for the plot so you won't be wrong to keep reading!

Since one of the warriors is badly wounded the men must split up, one to take Bastisza to be helped by a healer and the others to go help with the battles in Livonium. I won't go into any further details because I really do hate spoilers and since this all happens in literally the first pages I felt it wouldn't spoil anything to let you know.

This again is a romance story but in this one strangely enough even though it is told from Zyraxes point of view and details are sometimes left out, I FELT the love he had for Oriana.  I found it strange that Oriana didn't know oops wait never mind I won't tell you that, you'll just have to find out for yourself.

I enjoyed seeing Nerva and King Ilias and I can say that in this book I felt that they belonged together.  So character growth has occurred to a very large degree.

I do recommend these books for anyone who likes historical romances.  And I must say that this author DOES stay in the time period and that makes it a very fun book to read.

Details/Disclaimer: Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.


Who I was yesterday … I’m no longer today, nor will I be tomorrow. Each day I grow a little. I stumble, get up, and learn something. I wish and dream and want and look to the future.
Who I am is not important, but what I leave behind is.
Copyright © 2013 CAMELIA MIRON SKIBA


No comments:

Post a Comment