Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dancers and Divas Review


Today I have something extra special for you.  I have my review of Passion and Pain by Kathy Petrakis.  Now I must warn you, that the review will take time to load. It IS graphic intense!  But I felt it was the best way to express how I felt for this book!  So give it time to load and ENJOY!!!!  If you love the Performing Arts as much as I do, I'm sure you will enjoy my take on this fabulous book!

First here is the Book Information!


Contains mature content - recommended for ages 15+ 

Does passion and desire guarantee success? Can friends really be trusted? Can true love be found beneath lust and deceit? 

These are questions tenacious street dancer Elena Martinez faces as she struggles to compete against the most talented students at New York’s top Performing Arts High School. Along with her best friend, the carefree and mischievous Sebastien Duval, they are determined to make center stage. 

But the singing diva Letitia has other plans. Beautiful, talented and popular, her desire for revenge could ruin everything for Elena and Sebastien. Now, they must fight against prejudice, treachery and deceit as Letitia sets out to destroy Elena’s friendships, her romance, her dignity and her dreams. Can Elena win the battle for true love, happiness and success?

Buy Link
Passion and Pain (Dancers and Divas)

Continue on for my Review: remember to allow time for it to load!

This book begins with Elena and Sebastien meeting for the first time.  She stands a full head taller than him, and he is being bullied by kids.  She sticks up for him, and a friendship begins.  We then fast forward two years in the future to Grade 9 and boy have these two kids changed.

They are both on their first day of a very elite private school for the arts.  Now this book definitely made me think of the old show Fame, and the even a bit of Glee tossed in for kicks.  And this is where things get interesting.

We meet Letitia... And all I have to say is this...


Yes, yes I know its a video but she thinks she is all that and a bag of chips!  She thinks the school revolves around her, and she has it in for our girl Elena.  And she has every intention of making Elena's life a living *&^^!  She is even willing to go so far as to try to get Seb to date her.  Ha as if!

There is quite a bit of drama in this book, and it does not read as just a quick read.  We have the normal teenage issues.  Drugs, Drinking, Bullying, and self-image issues.  We even have some real surprises in this book that were totally but yet not unexpected.  I know that statement contradicts itself but I just KNEW something like that was up with one of the characters and sure enough I was right, even though I didn't really expect it.  

And Romance!  Yes we have romance.  This one is in love with this one, and that one loves that one secretly, and that one is so over-whelmingly in lust with that one.  It played very much like this!


Okay that is NOT an exaggeration.  There was so much "blood shed" okay maybe not real blood, but the emotional turmoil that these kids had was enough to make me even want to stand up for some of them, and knock a few of them in the head.

Now besides Seb and Elena, we have a full cast of characters.  Elena's love interest Jay, who just happens to be Letitia's family.  And that leads to some very intense interactions.  As you can tell this book most certainly did have it all!

Through this entire book I sat there and I was literally sucked into that world.  As someone who performed as a child and who still does so, I found this book to be so spot on!  Um for those of you who don't know what that means it means DEAD RIGHT!  

The one thing I really loved about this book was Seb and Elena's relationship.  How they stood by each other and even though they may occasionally fight they are always there for each other.  And when I think of the two of them I think of my daughter and her best friend and how no matter what they are always there and have each other's back.



Now this book is just the beginning!  And when it ended I can honestly say I wanted to scream because I really wanted to just keep reading.  Luckily book 2 is out, and I can get it into my hot little hands and keep reading.  Yes I know, I am not known for my patience.  But hey how can you go on when you have no air?  





Okay so that's an exaggeration, I have air but I have no ending!

And on that note, I am out of here!  I give this book 5 musical stars, and I have to say I recommend this book to EVERYONE!  There is a touch of a sex scene but nothing major, and I can honestly say I'd let my daughters read this without drama.  
If you're like me and just must have book 2 here is the Buy link!
Bittersweet (Dancers and Divas) (Volume 2)
Kathy Petrakis was born and raised in Sydney Australia by Greek Immigrant parents. She always had a passion for the performing arts -dancing, acting and singing but they were hobbies giving way to a traditional professional career in banking. Before this book, her writing was used to entertain friends with her unusual, and often disastrous travel adventures from around the world.

By the hand of fate, Passion and Pain and Bittersweet were born while living in London, heaven for lovers of the performing arts. After launching Passion and Pain, she returned to Sydney for the launch of the sequel, Bittersweet.
Stalk the Author!
Twitter: @KathyPetrakis


No comments:

Post a Comment