Monday, April 8, 2013

Proximity and Relativity Tour and Review



Title:Proximity
Proximity Series-Book #1
By: M.A. George
Published on October 3, 2012

 

Dr. Palta Capal would be a typical American career woman…if only she were human.


She has found her calling in this world as a physician. It’s an ideal outlet for her compassionate spirit...and unearthly healing powers.


Palta may spend her nights rereading Jane Austen novels, but she deliberately avoids pursuing her own love story. Human men — attractive as they may be — inevitably grow old and wither, leaving her to grieve in solitude. Frankly, no one has seemed worth the torment.


Enter Eric Moran, the intensely attractive and enigmatic new coworker on the scene. With his quiet confidence and warm smile, he manages to draw Palta’s attention. Little does she know that he, too, holds a secret…one that will propel them both into an escalating collision of two worlds.





Proximity begins with Palta, who is living on Earth and is a doctor. However she is much more than meets the eye. She was born on Earth of two parents not from Earth. There are a LOT of characters to get to know in this book. But they are done in such a manner that you easily grasp who is who and what their relationship is to Palta.

I loved how this book was a science fiction but was not like your typical over the top filled with scientific information type books. I could easily see each and every character in the book. And it truly did keep me flipping pages to find out what would happen next.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a great romance with a science fiction twist. You will immediately relate to Palta and her love of reading the classics. As for the male character... Trust me you will adore him and everything he does! And considering this is M.A. Georges debut novel I think she did a fabulous job! I give this book 5 stars!!!! Out of this world!!!!



Title: Relativity
Proximity Series Book #2
By M.A. George
Publication Date: January 9, 2013

No matter the planet, Palta Capal is an alien.

She’s lived a lifetime where she never belonged…but relocating to the “home world” she’s never seen has her feeling more like an outsider than ever.

Teetering between the thrill of newfound love and the despair of family loss—not to mention the looming threat of global war—Palta doesn’t need any more excitement in her life.

But what she needs and what she gets are two entirely different things.




Relativity picks up where Proximity left off. Palta, her sister, Aeron and Ewenami are all on board her father's ship heading back to their home planet Ononti.  I won't go into any farther details on this because it would contain spoilers. 

What I will say is that I LOVE IT! I finished this book in a few hours. It kept me turning the pages. I had to see what was going to happen next. I think that this book was even better than her first book Proximity. Which I likewise enjoyed.

Characters are rich and fun to read. The love between Aeron and Palta is beautiful, and truly heartfelt. Bito Obo is ARGH!!!! what can I say about the bad guy of the story! He's BAD!

I highly recommend this book and I give it 5 stars! Because it is most assuredly a crossover of both science fiction and paranormal and I Loved it!



M. A. George is part proud mother of two adorable children, part super top secret agent…Oops, probably just lost that job.

Writing is what keeps her up into the wee hours of the night.  Fortunately, she has a lot of energy (Read: caffeine is her friend).  She has a bit of an obsession with music (It does a fantastic job of tuning out rambunctious children while she attempts to focus).

She sincerely hopes people out there enjoy reading her work as much as she enjoys writing it.  And if anyone hears of work for a super top secret agent, she’s now available (Discretion guaranteed…).

Get news and updates on her latest work (including the continuation of the Proximity series) by visiting her blog at:
or the Proximity Facebook page at:







Playlist!!!!!

In the Words of a Song…
by m.a. George

I love the idea of making a soundtrack for a book.  I’ve seen it done a variety of ways…from listing a playlist that matches the feel of the book, to coordinating songs with specific scenes from the story, and everything in between.  I’ve also seen authors selecting one particular song that fits their novel perfectly.  I thought this might be a fun challenge….choosing one song that best matches Proximity in my mind.  This did turn out to be fun…Then again, anything that involves music is fun in my opinion.  But I wasn’t quite prepared for the challenge it would pose.

Making a soundtrack pick for Proximity is probably one of the hardest book-related choices I’ve had to make.  Believe me, it’s not because I don’t think about music much…I’m pretty much obsessed with it.  I find it very difficult to write without background music.  As a result, I’ve worn my ear buds down to pitiful little ear nubs.  I’d have music piped directly into my brain at all times if it were possible.  (If anyone knows of a new invention on the horizon that makes that possible, for Heaven’s sake, clue me in.)  But for all my love of music, choosing a single song that matches perfectly with Proximity is much more challenging than I expected it to be.

I’m afraid a big part of the dilemma is that my reaction to a song is 99.9% pure instinct.  I love the way a favorite song makes me feel…the emotions it evokes, the way it makes me want to sway or rest my head back and close my eyes, or the irresistible urge it gives me to dance (even if I happen to be riding in the passenger seat at the time, thus humiliating the hubby).  And though I certainly pay attention to the lyrics, most of my favorite songs are the stream-of-consciousness type that leave me thinking “Huh?” when I try to actually analyze the meaning behind the lyrics.  My personal take on a song is largely defined by the feel of the music, by little snippets of lyrics that strike me a certain way, and sometimes by what I happened to be doing/reading/writing at a time when I listened to that particular track.  Thus, I have been known to think of a song as the complete polar opposite of the intended subject matter.  As a writer, it seems odd that I would misconstrue a songwriter’s lyrics so blatantly, and I do feel guilty for it.  Yet I can’t help myself…I will forever react to music on pure gut feeling.

So, with that preface in mind…My choice for a soundtrack to Proximity is “Explosions” from Ellie Goulding’s Halcyon album.

If you’ve read Proximity, and you know the song well, you’re probably thinking “Huh?...”  I don’t know exactly what the songwriter’s intended meaning was, but as far as I would interpret, it is a song about the pain of love lost…quite possibly the pain of betrayal by a loved one.  While there is a snippet of that sentiment in Proximity, the romance between Palta and Eric is much more of a happily-ever-after.  So, I’ll admit it straightaway…This is a bit of a bizarre soundtrack choice.  

Don’t overthink it.

The reason behind my choice is, once again, 99.9% gut reaction.  The blend of a modern sound with the elements of classical music remind me of Palta—a woman who mixes the wisdom of age with the wit of youth.  It also helps that it’s just a darn good song.  It starts out softly and gently, with a sense of a bit of confusion…

“You trembled like you'd seen a ghost…”

It reminds me of Palta’s confusion when Eric initially panics and runs from her.

The music soon swells to the first introduction to the chorus, leading off with the passionate “Explosions…”  It’s such a breathtaking blend of a sometimes-delicate, sometimes-powerful melody.  Ellie’s voice ranges from gentle and peaceful, to bursting with emotion, and back to tranquility in a matter of seconds.

Here’s a snapshot of the chorus:
“Explosions on the day you wake up
Needing somebody and you've learned
It's okay to be afraid
But it will never be the same.”

Why does this fit Proximity in my mind?  Palta has spent a lifetime (a very long lifetime at that) as an alien-in-hiding here on Earth.  She’s torn between a fear of being discovered as an alien and a fear of endless days of monotony in her ho-hum life.  Most of all, she fears the loneliness that has taken hold of her.  When Eric arrives on the scene, any former boredom in Palta’s life quickly gives way to more turmoil than she bargained for.  Her monotonous days explode into a head-spinning mixture of love, suspense, danger, and intrigue (and okay, some literal explosions as well…).  Suddenly the days that would drag on endlessly are whisking by at a feverish pace.  And it scares her…She’s never known firsthand the love she reads about in novels, or encountered close and personal danger—or faced leaving her family and the only home she knows.  Life is suddenly anything but boring.  And one thing is for certain…“It will never be the same.”

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Chris! These reviews absolutely made my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review. It's a pleasure to visit your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music and books! You keep introducing me to new things! What a great concept and a great choice! I never heard Explosions but I found it, listened and read the lyrics. It is a perfect choice! Like Palta, you are full of surprises!

    ReplyDelete